s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Good and The Bad

For now we will leave ugly alone. Or at least try anyway.

So I'll go with the good first - I have officially been accepted into the LPN program at my school. That means I have 12 months (or three semesters) of training to go to become a licensed practical nurse. Then after a short break (only due to the start time of the program) I will turn around and transition into the RN program for another 8 months (or two semesters) of study. I now have an end date in site. In May of 2014 I have the goal of graduating and becoming a registered nurse. While that has been my goal for quite a while now, the details have been fuzzy because of just trying to get pre-req's out of the way and be accepted into a highly competitive field. But now I have been accepted and things are so much clearer than they were before. And I could NOT be happier.

Of course all of that is tempered by the official bad news I got last week. My job is most definitely being outsourced to a horrible company in the next 2-3 months. As usual they want to make it seem like this is a GREAT thing and everything will be wonderful. Oh, we'll work on the same hospital accounts we work on now, we'll have benefits, we'll keep our seniority dates from the hospital, blah, blah, blah. I'll break it down for you and get through all the crap. That would be fine if everything was truly the same but it's not even close. When you break down the numbers I would be doing the exact same work for a FRACTION of the pay, and when I say fraction I'm talking at LEAST $6.00/hour less kind of pay. And that's not okay at all. So I'm looking at all my options including NOT taking the new position and applying for unemployment and looking into Medicaid for the kids. I haven't been uninsured since I was 19-years-old. G and I have both worked since we were 16-years-old and have contributed to our homes. This has thrown me for a loop. It's hard for me to believe I'm actually looking to see what kind of aid I can get and help in the "welfare" department. But I'm a mom and I'm trying to do what I can to make sure my family is taken care of during a time in which I have no control over my job. Normally I stress out and freak out in times like this but more than anything, right now I'm okay that things are going to change and we will get through it together. Because really, that's all that matters anyway.

So that's the good, and when I say good I actually mean "freaking AWESOME", and the bad. The bad sucks but it's life and we will get through it. The good is what keeps us going.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

So sorry to hear about the job. Good luck on finishing nursing school. It's a very good goal indeed. My mother became an RN when I was in 7th grade, so I remember it vividly.

11:48 AM  
Blogger HereWeGoAJen said...

It sucks when things like that happen to your job that are totally out of your control.

But congratulations on the LPN program!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home